Melanie’s sermon on ‘Patience, Persimmons, and Parsing Motives’ was one of the most helpful and influential I’ve heard in a long time—how moving and inspiring! I loved Melanie’s humanity, how she intelligently ties the theme of ripeness and her walking through Scripture in answer to the questions, including the application of contemplative silence as a way to strengthen the heart.–Bruce P.
To learn more about my speaking style, approach to speaking, qualifications, as well as previous speaking venues, please check out the Events & Speaking page. On that page, I also offer a Youtube playlist of sampler sermons so that you can get a feel for the presence and message that I bring.
This page also contains information if you are interested in requesting me to speak for an event that you’re planning.
I love speaking on, and have personal experience with, the following topics:
- How to have difficult conversations in polarizing environments
- Jesus as doctor and medicine
- Living in intentional community
- How to recognize God’s voice and movement in my life
- Not so fast: confessions of a burnout junkie who is learning to wait
- Women in the Bible: their stories, their voices
- Mourning broken dreams and dying vision
- The power, and terror, of fasting as spiritual practice
- Prayer as a well-balanced diet
- Navigating transitions
- Sabbath and justice: a journey of remembrance
- How to love and know God through prayer: a journey to surrender and release
- Dangerous words: censorship and the Bible
- Suffering, evil, and how do we respond?
- When God is silent
- Journeying through the Psalms
- Holy expectations: what do God and others expect of me?
- Our bodies and spirituality: turning foes into friends
- Contemplative prayer practices that have stood the test of time
- Patience, Persimmons, and Parsing Motives
- Finding creativity through our everyday work materials
- The Creative Journey: a personal labyrinth
- Seeking and naming sources of creative inspiration
- Our home a monastery: monastic practices we can weave into everyday life
I have led many retreats for a variety of ages and backgrounds. Most of the topics above can be turned into a retreat format (day, overnight, or weekend). I also love to lead silent retreats.
Please contact me to discuss potential speaking and/or retreat opportunities, as well as rates. I’d love to hear from you.
COVID-19 note: during the pandemic, my work leading workshops, contemplative prayer groups, sermons, and/or retreats has been virtual. I am, however, open to leading an in-person small group day event as long as it is within a two hour drive of my home in Washington, DC, held outdoors, and also complies with local COVID regulations. I will re-visit this policy once a COVID vaccine becomes more widely available spring/summer 2021. Thank you.